Saturday, July 24, 2010

A most delightful day


Oh I often wish I had my camera, today was no exception. I spent the afternoon on the Tangletown Garden tour with my friend Arlys. We traipsed about by car from one private garden to the next enjoying what other gardeners have done with their space. I loved the variety.

One garden was blended with a neighbors and the north/south side of their houses was called "rusty alley". They had taken found objects otherwise left for disposal and used them in their space. Sewage and man holes as steppers, a old bed spring against the house crawling with clematis, used and left for forgotten pipes covered in vines, and other rusty pieces exploding with annuals. Sorry no pic, this was unbelievably cool.

At another location (one of Tangletown's owners) the garden was brimming with palms, annuals, exotic plants, a "moat" surrounding the back patio swimming with the LARGEST koi I have ever seen, fountains, and pots galore, and even a popcorn plant. I so want one of these, when you rub your hands through the foliage and then touch your nose it smells like buttered popcorn. No lie! (Blaise this is an annual here but I would see if you can grow it year round in Tx, it is so fun).

Another beautiful space evoked a sense of peace and well being Japanese style, beautiful paths, rocks, and Japanese inspired fountains. I was happy to have a chance to talk with the owner at this location when I noticed her overgrown lavender (I planted some this year and am hoping beyond hope that it returns next year). She planted it 4 years ago and has moved it three times since as it keeps getting bigger. YAH!

It was such a fun afternoon finished with a beautiful dinner on Arlys's patio. Her patio is another find and a great way to end the tour, it is filled with containers overflowing with succulents, flowering annuals, herbs, and other gorgeous rare finds (most of which were procured at Tangletown).

We grilled some amazing salmon and made this recipe from The Barefoot Contessa. A pic I found online is below but again, oh I wish I had my camera, our version looked much brighter and yummier than this(I think because we cooked the salmon rare and on the grill before we broke it up).



Bummer about the camera I wish I could share pics, suffice to share with you the beautiful time I had with my dear friend!

“A friend is someone who understands your past, believes in your future, and accepts you just the way you are.”

1 comment: